Any person interested in becoming a member of the section shall submit a completed application to the staff liaison.
- Active Membership shall consist of those persons that have successfully completed the Professional Executive Leadership School (PELS).
- Affiliate Membership shall consist of those persons that have successfully completed the Institute for Leadership in Changing Times (ILCT). Affiliate members have no voting privileges.
- The VPCF Board of Directors, CEO, and staff liaison shall be ex-officio members of the Section, unless such persons otherwise qualify for regular membership status.
- The VPCF Board of Directors, by recommendation of the Section Board, may suspend or expel a member for cause.
IV. Membership Dues
No dues or fees shall be charged for membership in the PELS Alumni Section. However, annual donations of $30 are requested. All donations received are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
- The Section Board shall be the governing authority of the section. Its actions are subject to reversal or approval by the VPCF CEO.
- Resolutions favorably voted on by the PELS Alumni Section must be in accord with approved VPCF policy and shall be submitted for Approval to the VPCF CEO.
- The Section Board may not incur expenditures without prior approval from the VPCF CEO. The Section Board may take all necessary steps for the efficient execution of their work, but they may take no action which is finally binding without the express approval of the VPCF CEO.
VI. Section Officers
To be considered to serve as a member of the PELS Alumni Section Board, potential nominees must submit a letter of interest to the Section Chairman.
- The Section Board shall consist of the Immediate Past Chairman, Chairman, 1st Vice Chairman, 2nd Vice Chairman, and Regional Representatives representing strategic regions of the Commonwealth. All officers will serve one-year terms beginning on July 1 and ending on June 30 of each year; and may be relieved of their duties at any time by the VPCF Board of Directors.
- The Section Chairman shall be appointed by the VPCF Board of Directors to serve a one-year term. The Section Officers shall hold a vote at the Annual Business meeting to recommend the Section Chairman to the VPCF Board.
- All officers, with the exception of Chairman, will move through the positions in succession beginning with Regional Representative and proceeding, in order, to 2nd Vice Chairman, and 1st Vice Chairman.
- General Officers and Duties.
- The Chairman shall be the presiding officer at all section meetings; represent the section in all official matters; appoint officers to standing and special committees; supervise all committees; present to the VPCF CEO meeting minutes and proposals recommended for passage; and present to the VPCF Board of Directors recommendations for appointments to Section Chairman for the following term.
- The 1st Vice Chairman shall assist, advise, and consult with the Chairman.
VII. Section Meetings
- The PELS Alumni Section shall have a General Business Meeting for all members at least one (1) time a year. A year will be a twelve (12) month period from the first day of July through the last day of June. The date, time and location of this meeting will be set by the PELS Alumni Section at least thirty (30) days prior to the meeting.
- The order of business shall be determined by the PELS Alumni Section Chairman. Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern the proceedings of all meetings.
The Section Chairman and Staff Liaison shall serve as an ex-officio member of all committees. The Section Chairman shall appoint members to serve on the various standing committees. Members of standing committees shall serve a one (1) year term, and may be relieved of their duties by the Section Chairman. The Chairman may appoint such special committees, for specific purposes, as may from time to time be necessary for the conduct of section business.
- Fundraising Committee
The purpose of this committee is to raise funds to support the VPCF. The responsibilities of this committee are to plan and conduct fundraising events. This committee will meet at least once a year prior to the VACP/VPCF Annual Conference.
- Nominating Committee
The purpose of this committee is to identify qualified individuals to serve on the PELSAA Board. The responsibilities of this committee are to speak with PELS graduates who are interested in serving on the PELSAA board, identify potential board members, and nominate individuals to serve on the PELSAA board when vacancies exist. This committee will meet as needed.
- Scholarship Committee
The purpose of this committee is to support and maintain the Lex T. Eckenrode Scholarship for PELS. The responsibilities of this committee are to review scholarship applications; select scholarship recipients and amount to be awarded to each recipient; and revise/update the scholarship prerequisites, guidelines, procedures, and application as needed. This committee will meet at least twice a year prior to each PELS Session.
- Social Committee
The purpose of this committee is to plan and conduct PELSAA socials and reunions. The responsibilities of this committee are to coordinate with the VPCF to plan and host PELSAA socials for each session of PELS; and coordinate with the VPCF to plan and host PELS reunions. This committee will meet prior to the third week of each PELS session.
- Training Committee
The purpose of this committee is to assist the VPCF with maintaining the quality of the PELS program and providing an annual training program for PELS/ILCT graduates in order to expand and maintain the leadership skills learned at PELS and ILCT. The responsibilities of this committee are to provide recommendations for changes to the PELS curriculum; and plan and conduct an annual PELSAA training session. This committee will meet at least once a year.
Chief Mary Gavin